Tuesday, October 23, 2012

My take on Cheer

Olivia participated in her first cheer competition this year. I didnt let her go in the past cause I didn't want to fully immerse us into the "Cheer culture." Any one that knows me knows I hate cheerleading on so many different levels. For now I am ok with it cause she is 6 and its cute. But once I arrived at this arena full or crazed screaming girls all my fears and worries were confirmed. Watching these fat, middle aged women, that were once cheerleaders and came back as cheer mom's ,with high pony tails and huge bows in their hair ..WAS NOT cute! And whats worse is these women are dancing around like they are hot stuff. In general you get these girls that think they are it. That they have accomplished the highest level of social hierarchy. In reality they were a cheerleader in a small town and when it comes to the rest of the world that matters UM.. not at all. But they never leave those days. They never realize in the real world it doesn't make you better than anybody. And most importantly cheerleading doesn't teach you any skill that will be of value later on in life. You could argue team work but the way these girl cry under pressure and backstab each other I would say your stretching a bit. Blah blaaaah blaahh I ramble on. In the end I detached myself from all my preconceived notions and just decided to observe her unbiased. And I was so happy for her. She was glowing and having the time of her life dancing in the stands and goofing off with her little friends. She is so good at dancing and she was amazing when she preformed. The lady behind me (who didn't know who I was there to watch) commented on how the little blonde girl (Olivia is the only blonde on her team) was killing it. She was right! Andrew and I talk about keeping her away form the pole cause she can get saucy and raunchy with her dance moves. I'm not sure why she came to us so full of spice but I think she is adorable and I could kiss her cute little cheeks all day long. I will always love her and support her thorough whatever it is she wants to do. The fact that I even signed her up for cheer is proof. So proud of her and happy for her that she has this life and is talented. For the future I guess we will sign her up again as long as she wants it. Yes I hope its a phase. Not cause I don't want her to hold pom poms but because girls are cruel and mean and hateful and back biting. If your pretty they hate you even more. If your ugly they use you to make them feel better. And cheerleaders take the whole mean girl drama to a whole nother level especially in High school. I don't want that for her wether it be her being cruel or her taking it from the mean girls. I was reading this blog...The blogger was making fun of cheerleaders and a former cheerleader commented. She basically said (to the blogger) "you are just jealous cause you were probably not pretty enough to be a cheerleader and your boy friend probably left you for a cheerleader and lets face it we get married to hotter richer guys later in life cause we were prettier." Wow. where to start? That pretty much sums up the mentality that I hate. To be in your 30's and thats your view of why your superior to others is a disgrace to the human race. Sigh... We will see . I am hopeful that our parenting will keep her from being like that if she still chooses to cheer. But my logical side always says: you can be guilty by association.

No comments: